Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

So I've read this poem called The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coderidge (split into two halves), and its a pretty good one alright.
But there are just a couple of things that I don't understand.
Why in the world does the Mariner even stop the wedding guest to tell his story?
Why does the weather fluctuate around a million times across just a few stanzas?
Is the ship cursed because he killed the Albatross? -_-
Did the sailors die and start to torment the Mariner?
Or did the Mariner die as well?
But if he died, then how did he stop the wedding guest and recite this story?
But if he didnt die, how did they hang him with an Albatross around his neck?
And when did they pick up the Albatross?!

The poem leaves so many questions unanswered.
And now I'm just confused.

But.
It's a beautiful poem alright, and you've gotta read it(:

---

OH FAIL.
Okay, so I'm typing this out 15 minutes later from when I actually posted this post.
So I googled this up cause I was curious.
And it turns out that there are 7 parts to this poem -_-
The book I was reading it from attached only 2 parts of the poem to it, so obviously, I had questions unanswered.
Okay, I'm going to go finish the poem off now (:
And if you're interested, here's a link to the seven part poem.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/151/151-h/151-h.htm

Lesson learnt : Google it before blogging it.


No comments:

Post a Comment